Wednesday 20 May 2009

Homemade Home

I must say I have been loving Kirstie’s Homemade Home programme. She’s not everyone’s cup of tea I know but Kirstie’s a girl after my own heart. I love how she transformed her cottage in Devon and made it into a home, something unique and interesting. I share her love of looking round other people’s houses to get inspiration and I find the most interesting homes are the ones with old pieces of furniture or with interesting or beautiful objects in them. I have decided that if I don’t absolutely love a piece then I won’t have it out on display, that goes for all my clutter too (but that might be the subject of another post!). I’m also trying to remember that if I see something wonderful then I must buy it, rather than regret it later on. We have a wonderful bric a brac shop in the village and I have got some wonderful things from it over the years. It’s the sort of shop that you have to keep popping in to as the stock changes quite often and all the good bits are snapped up, but whenever I’ve needed something I tend to find it in that shop. Unfortunately it’s the sort of shop that is not practical to push a buggy round so I have to sneak off on a Saturday afternoon to get my fix!

Of course the best part of the programme was watching all the talented crafts people trying to teach Kirstie their crafts. Really inspiring to watch and a great advertisement that things you make yourself can be just as gorgeous as something you might buy in a shop if not better because you have something fully original and one off. So don’t go searching for that perfect cushion – make it yourself! That’s what I did with the cushion above, it goes brilliantly with my red and gold sitting room and was fun to make to!

No comments:

Post a Comment