Tuesday 13 October 2009

The Collective Unconscious and Fruit Flies!

I've been musing about Jung's concept of the Collective Unconscious lately and the idea of universal experience. It makes me think that there is a lot more to our existence than we are aware of, particularly when it comes to communication and that we could be communicating on many different levels, not just the verbal level.

So case in point, fruit flies! I've been plagued by fruit flies for the last month or so. I'm not sure where they came from, but I can't seem to be able to get rid of them, even hiding the fruit in the fridge doesn't seem to work. So imagine my surprise when last week I came across two things about fruit flies! The first, very usefully, was angry chicken's blog who had, under the title of random things, instructions on how to make a fruit fly trap! The second was an article in The Week, on some research about fruit flies which discovered that after mating the female fruit fly, rather than take her normal lunchtime nap would busy herself with chores - finding food or a good nesting site, while the male went to sleep. I now seem to know a lot about fruit flies!

I guess it could be coincidence (which I'm sure it is) but then there is a part of me which likes the idea that we are all connected in some way and that if we need something, it will come to us from somewhere!

1 comment:

  1. my fruit selection this week were both braeburns and bananas!

    ReplyDelete