Sunday 3 July 2011

A bit of making this weekend

It was Flopsy Bunny's school fete today so there were cakes to be made . . .  Poor Little Roo couldn't understand that they weren't for eating straight away - although he made up for it at the fete and made sure he got a good helping there!
   
Then I started making my borage ice cubes.  I'd seen this idea a while back and thought I must grow some borage!!  Only three flowers so far - but I'm soooo excited.  You need to half fill an ice cube tray with water and then pop the flower on top.  Freeze the cube and then top up the tray with water so that the flower is trapped in the middle, refreeze the cubes and you get gorgeous ice cubes to go with your summer pimms!!

Ah yes, there is only one to harvest at the moment, and it is rather small but perfectly formed don't you think?!

I have moments of being really organised - I think it's my Capricorn side, being born on the cusp it doesn't always show itself!!  Anyway, a while back I decided to index my receipe books by ingredients.  It was really useful when we had a vegetable box delivered as I could easily look up receipes for the various vegetables I found in my box.  So I thought I would share with you my courgette receipe index card along with the various receipe books we own!  In the hope that it might be useful to any courgette growers out there that are in need of some inspiration!

Penne with ricotta and courgette
Tagliatelle with deep-fried courgette
Wood-roasted courgette
Courgette carpaccio
Courgette Frittata
Courgette, prosciutto and menta

Real Cooking - by Nigel Slater
Slow-cooked courgettes with lemon and basil

Baby courgette salad
Courgette and goat's cheese soup with basil

Deep-fried stuffed courgette flowers
Courgette and milk soup
courgette sauce for pasta
Courgette souffle

Fried zucchini blossoms
Lamb risotto with zucchini
Risotto with zucchini and their blossoms

Courgette soup

Stuffed courgettes
Courgette and cobnut salad

Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook - I just love this book!!
Courgette risotto
Courgette and dill farfalle
Courgette souffle
Courgette souffle tart
Courgette and lemon salad
Greek courgette pie
Crisp courgette wedges with anchovy mayonaise
Matthew's stuffed courgette flowers
Tam's stuffed courgette flowers
Courgette chutney!!!!!!  A must if you have a massive glut and are tired of all the above!!

Courgette Kisir
Lemony courgettes on toast
Courgette and potato cakes with mint and feta cheese - this one might see a lot of action this year with all the potato plants I have!!

Phew that's a lot of courgette receipes!!  But a favorite in our house is Courgette Dollops!

Courgette Dollops
225g grated courgette
50g grated onion
50g self raising flour
75g grated cheddar cheese
2 eggs, beaten
dash of milk
salt and pepper
oil for frying

Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well together.  Heat a large frying pan with a little oil or butter.  Place heated table-spoons of the mixture in the pan and cook for 2 1/2 minutes until brown.  Turn over and cook the other side for a further 2 1/2 minutes.  Eat at once!!

I'm off now to check on the greenhouse to see if it's going to be a courgette dollop night tonight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment