Tuesday 5 July 2011

Handmade Living: A Review

It seemed only fair that if I was going to review a craft magazine that I shouldn't just review one - well that's my excuse anyway for buying another one!  So at the same time as I bought Mollie Makes I picked up a copy of Handmade Living.  Another new craft magazine to hit the shops and also released at the same time (this copy is issue number 2).  Handmade Living is more on the lines of traditional craft magazines and doesn't have the same unique feel (in a tactile and aesthetic way) as Mollie Makes.  Despite this I did really like the magazine.  There were 9 projects to make, and they boasted 98 ideas on the cover, and there seemed to be a lot more content too than Mollie Makes.  I loved the bird wreath and will definitely be making that one.  I also liked the easy lunchbag, although I had seen a similar tutorial over at The Long Thread for a lunchbag which I liked, mainly for the fabric I think!  The I-Spy Bag looked genius and I thought I might try and whip a couple up for our holiday this year.  So plenty of projects to be inspired by.  I also liked the fact that they had features on cooking (the chocolate stackers would go down well in our house), as well as gardening and beauty.

They feature a Beautiful Blog each month at the end of the magazine and this month showcased Poshyarns - I think Rebecca is a woman after my own heart!  A potter too!  Not that I am a potter I hasten to add but I did love having a go at being a potter many moons ago!  You must check her blog out - very inspirational.

Although Jane Brocket does seem to be the woman of the moment, with her new book The Gentle Art of Knitting just out.  Handmade Living had a rather gorgeous knitting pattern for a cushion featured which I thought I might try out - it's a bit spotty and stripey - well just my thing really!  Then over in Mollie Makes Jane has a bright and beautiful pattern for a crocheted blanket.

So all in all I liked Handmade Living and at £3.50 it's a little easier on the pocket too!  Could these magazines see the end of my love affair with Country Living . . . ?!

No comments:

Post a Comment